AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do I cultivate this today?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 6/12/2016 16:25 (#5350784 - in reply to #5350643)
Subject: RE: Do I cultivate this today?

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

That corn looks tall enough to run about 4+mph, and still stay shallow.

Anytime you can bury the weeds that are 2 inches or more--------and in your pictures it looked like there were a sufficient number.........I would be rolling a little dirt into the rows.

I just looked at about 200A that one of the "older and more experienced" guys cultivated...........he used a Hiniker single sweep without putting the wings on.........and created furrows between the rows, and threw so much dirt along the edges of the rows, but did not bury the weeds totally.......that we are now going to have to break out the flamer.

Had he slowed down, and used the wings, that would have dribbled more than enough dirt into the rows to bury the weeds...... and would not have created the furrows.

Gotta be careful about building the ridges in the rows. Those ridges are hard to overcome later.......corn is now too tall to tine-harrow across the rows.

I am going to have a "meeting" Monday morning at the shop------will be hard to keep from committing murder.

He knew better........just got ansy and "had to do something".

ANother thought------- just looked at your pictures again..........if that ground is cloddy, to where the dirt is not real flowable.........you might consider running a rotary hoe ahead of the cultivator.  That corn is flexible enough yet that it can stand the hoe, and that might break up the clods so the dirt will cover the weeds, rather than just rolling against them.

Edited by jakescia 6/12/2016 16:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)