AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Furrow irrigation and soybean production practices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 6/12/2016 09:01 (#5350039)
Subject: Furrow irrigation and soybean production practices

East Central Arkansas

From the start of each crop it seems everything has to be planned just to make our furrow irrigation program work.  When we were still raising cotton and what beans we had, even after we had really gotten away from cultivation for weed control we would use a cultivator to with a small buster to reestablish a good furrow before irrigation. That required getting a preemerge out behind the cultivator and hopefully getting a shower rain for activation. Then hurry up and get pipe laid and water running as plowing that new furrow has really dried things out and the crop is needing water. Now we are raising twin row beans on 38" beds and planting stale seedbed. Trying to leave enough bed to have plenty of furrow. We didn't even do-all off beds this year. We use a old Sprayrite cultivator type bedder roller with 15" busters. This tool builds a nice big bed. We have been bedding back over old rows without any other tillage but this year we did some light tillage ahead of the bedder as we had some middles that had become too deep over the years. Most fields this bedder followed the old rows really good but I did have to use markers to tell where to run. With all the heavy spring rains we had I have a lot of middles that are not near as deep as they should have been. We are going to lay pipe this week and try it and hope for the best. Looking back from years past I don't know how we used to get it all done.

(160602_002.jpg)

(160602_001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 160602_002.jpg (131KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments 160602_001.jpg (150KB - 77 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)