AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD No-Till drill gauge wheels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 6/10/2016 20:51 (#5347916 - in reply to #5347330)
Subject: RE: JD No-Till drill gauge wheels

Von WC Ohio - 6/10/2016 11:48

I'm liking the drill less and less after being forced to plant beans with planter in 2015 to deal with wet cornstalks that did not break down from being covered with snow all winter of 14-15.  Bought radial bean meters for this year really liked those in last years stalks between old corn rows. Lack of snow last winter the stalks broke down and were much easier to deal with.

Drilled rest of beans just did boots and blades never been happy with seed spacing depth still seems erratic. 2nd hole is supposed to be 1" deep but add residue and such and it seems highly variable. Still see few seeds on top of ground. 3rd notch is 1.5" deep or more and since we usually get a plastering rain shortly after planting I don't like going that deep with beans.

Probably need to do the update on seed boot hole wear issue to get more consistent depth, add narrow firming wheels, angled  heavier seed tab and different closing wheels in hopes of improving performance. Drilled bean emergence was highly variable few fields look like perfect stand others are more erratic. Worked ground where tile was installed was the worst too dry too loose. Generally 2 problems we never have. Spring of 14 and 15 were very wet and it's been a real challenge getting drill slot closed in those conditions.  Curvetines on planter do much better in wetter soils

I really actually would prefer 15" rows over a drill but it's all about $ it takes to get there.

Got 1.07" this morning which was much needed.

When you get ready to rebuilt, you might want to have a look at our Ninja seed bounce flaps. They truly outperform any others out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)