AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drilling soybeans into rye cover crop thoughts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rocknocker
Posted 6/10/2016 09:03 (#5346940)
Subject: Drilling soybeans into rye cover crop thoughts?

Western NC
This spring I was drilling soybeans into about 60lbs/ac rye cover crop. My drilling population was around 180,000 seeds/ac. After emergence and counting I have about 100,000 plants per acre. The germination was 85% and I accounted for a 10% loss due to no-till into the cover crops. I'm running a 1500 Great Plains with no-till coulters (25 wave). The conditions were wet and I did have some sticking to the rear press wheel. I'm sure the seed-loc wheels were also a contributing factor to the reduced stand ( I plan to remove them because I hear they are only a problem and never a benefit). Even after a 25% loss I should have 135,000 plants per acre. Basically I'm missing 35,000 seeds per acre. Also in fields where a wheat cover crop (far shorter than the rye) was used I counted 150000 seeds per acre. My question is if I continue to plant into standing rye should I look for a planter with row cleaners because I believe hair-pinning and poor closing contributed to my lost emergence? Is there something you would suggest changing about the drill that would help? Attached is a picture of one of the fields that had the rye cover crop in it. The rye was terminated about 20 days before planting. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

(Soybean Emergence_Rye_2016.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Soybean Emergence_Rye_2016.JPG (94KB - 384 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)