AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shuttle kit for Case IH Magnum - 71, 72 and 89 series
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pirlbeck
Posted 6/8/2016 18:43 (#5344423 - in reply to #5344165)
Subject: RE: Shuttle kit for Case IH Magnum - 71, 72 and 89 series

West Central Iowa
Here is a copy and paste of a reply I made several years ago to a similar question on a different forum.

I put a Abilene Machine shift plate on a new to me very early (2 speed reverse) 7120 in the spring of 2012. Once I got everything adjusted it works pretty good, My tractor is a hi houred (10,000+) one, so I had to deal with some shift linkage wear that made it hard to get adjusted correctly. I have a loader on it, so it is nice having the faster reverses. I cannot imagine what it would be like operating this transmission on a loader without this shuttle shift plate. Having to go all the way back to neutral and then back forward with the shift lever every time I changed directions would get old pretty fast.

I shift it all the time without using the clutch, but I only do it at low RPM's and I always pause in neutral for a second or two. I know that is not the recommended way to shift it and that I may be using the clutch packs in a way they were not designed, BUT I don't think shifting it this way would be slipping the clutch packs nearly like it would when shifting at WOT, under full load. I am a mechanic and own/operate my own shop and some day I may find out I was wrong and have to go into the tranny, but I can do it myself, so I am the one that will have to fix it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)