AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

registering a pickup in iowa.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JoeR
Posted 6/8/2016 12:13 (#5343996 - in reply to #5343867)
Subject: RE: registering a pickup in iowa.

NW Iowa
FWIW...any new (or new to you) pickup purchased after at least december of '15 gets just a standard county plate...no tonnage involved so its like a car. You have to go to a business/trade plate to have actual tonnage. I traded my 3/4 ton with a 6 ton license for a 1 ton, same plates. after awhile i looked at the reg and there was no tonnage listed. I inquired with the county about this, they really didn't know how much i could weight when pulling a trailer...uhm maybe up to the gvwr?? I asked more than 1 person at more than one county too. Ended up getting a 6 ton business/trade plate that would allow the 25% overage on raw ag goods and other exemptions when pulling. That was also a hassle since you can't really trade plates before renewal time, but since the dealership did not make me aware of this, they let it fly. Also, that plate was about half the cost as the standard county plate. I did not want to be in that gray area getting pulled over by the DOT with a load of cattle and find out that i didn't even have enough licence to pull an empty trailer.

Look at the Iowa Truck guide for 15/16 and there is a section in there that talks about pickup plates, etc. I believe that it also notes the year that they switched this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)