AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why does corn respond to tillage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

twinrowboy
Posted 6/7/2016 19:30 (#5342740 - in reply to #5341386)
Subject: RE: Why does corn respond to tillage?

E.C. MI
I really think most of it is because the soil isn't covered with residue and as a result is dryer and warmer. I'm mostly no-till with corn and every year I take my straight blade and feather out my cross furrows in some fields and every year I can go out about this time and the corn that is in that area looks bigger and healthier. I think when most corn starts to curl in the heat and dry stress of summer is where the the residue covered soil makes it back. I've done quite a few tests comparing Notill and tillage and although it's tempting to use tillage to get that picture perfect corn early on I continue to no till. I feel all I'd really gain is about the first month the corn might look a bit better but that doesn't always translate to a better bottom line at the end. I like the way my soil is responding to Notill too much to go back to full width tillage concentional tillage. Strip till imight be the best answer but finding time to do it and having the manpower/ big horsepower is a challenge for me...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)