AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's wrong with these beans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmergreg
Posted 6/1/2016 07:45 (#5331377 - in reply to #5331359)
Subject: RE: What's wrong with these beans?

EC Illinois / WC Indiana

mhagny - 6/1/2016 07:36

farmergreg - 5/31/2016 07:22

mhagny - 5/31/2016 05:36

TCF9120 - 5/31/2016 00:09 Had the same thing happen with Sonic two years ago. It was a bad deal and ended up replanting at least a third of our total bean acres. Many of those bean pre's are great under the right conditions but under the wrong conditions friendly fire would be an understatement.

If you put the sulfentrazone on a couple weeks before planting and get a rain on it, it's perfectly safe.

Not!
IF you have any higher PH or ANY remotely coarse soil you'll have trouble. Had a field in 2014 that had authority maxx which (contained the double whammy of classic and sulfentrazone) applied 3 weeks prior to planting and received 4" of rain between app and planting. Those chemicals laid right around 2.5" deep and worked on those plants ALL year. 75 to 85K stand remaining. Beans never got over mid calf high. 

Another tip: Just because you have a stand doesn't mean you'll grow a crop. That chemical will work on this plants for awhile. "They have been shot in knee cap"
In your case I'd rip it up and replant. I didn't and regretted it as I followed the agronomist's rec which was solely based on stand count.

Check out my posts from 2014. 

You are correct.  I didn't go into the sandy soil and high pH because that is spelled out on the label.  Cut the rates on those soils, esp the sandy soils, wait for a rain, and you'll be fine.

The LABEL in 2014 was followed to a TEE, using the lowest posted rate. The product was applied THREE weeks prior to planting with several rains amounting to 3"+ rain in-between app and planting, It destroyed the beans.  I'm not talking beech sand, I'm talking soil that when you look across it after a rain and its drying has a lighter cast to it. The chemical pooled in low areas like the wheel tracks and any dips and just took out the plants. 

Keep drinking the authority kook-aid and eventually its going to burn you.

FMC sent me a very large check after protracted summer long struggle. 

I have some left in a jug that I'll give away 24 acres worth!  

Edited by farmergreg 6/1/2016 07:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)