AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kid falls into gorilla cage, gorilla had to shot, people upset.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

denice.r
Posted 5/31/2016 06:26 (#5329432 - in reply to #5328460)
Subject: RE: Kid falls into gorilla cage, gorilla had to shot, people upset.

south east Indiana
I have spent quite a bit of time at the zoo, volunteered there for a couple years. As it happens there at the Gorilla exhibit. I do not know how well the national new is doing covering the story. Like many things details are left out I imagine.
First the barrier is not people/child proof, no one should assume it is. Unless we go back to the days of wire cages this is the way animals are kept today. Beyond the short barrier there are bushes with thorns for about 4 ft, after that the wall is sold straight down concrete for 15 ft with a couple feet of water at the bottom.
Eye witness accounts are that the boy said he wanted to go in the water and was told no. He climbed the barrier and JUMPED in, he did not fall. The mother did have other children there and is reported to run a day care. I imagine this boy is used to doing things he shouldn't when she is distracted.

What has also not been reported well is that the keepers called the gorillas to bring them in, the 2 females came in silverback did not. He took the boy up the ladder to the land after being in the water.

Generally the entire zoo is designed the same way. A barrier and a concrete drop off then the animals. I imagine most zoos are very similar. What surprises me is that no one jumped the barrier to grab the kid in those 4 ft to the water. One lady said she tried but did not go over the barrier.

I think the zoo made a choice that the boy was in danger and did the right thing. I do believe exhibits will change now, maybe have glass or another fence before the drop off.

It amazes me that people are so uneducated that they do not understand the power of animals, at any time the boy could have ripped to shreds. These are WILD ANIMALS. How many people are killed by their pets or farm animals each year...

The boy and his family are very fortunate indeed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)