AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Giant Radishes in Lancaster, Ohio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 12/12/2008 20:48 (#532608 - in reply to #532406)
Subject: Re: Let's come down to earth a little. Any negatives to these radishes?

Dalton, OH
Not trying to be anti-radish, as I will probably try some next year, but with the price around $3.50 per pound and planting 8-10 lbs per acre they are getting a little steep on price and harder to pencil out. Especially to someone new to this and just trying it. If I did everything that people said would gain me 5 bushels here and 10-40 bushels there, I should be able to grow 500+ bushel corn. I don't like to be skeptical, but sometimes I need to step back and look at the other side of things. There is an opportunity cost to planting these, no double crop beans after wheat, planting shorter season beans to enable radish planting, in my case, no place to seed an annual forage for fall harvest. My forage can yield 3-4 tons per acre at minimum $100 per ton. That's $400 per acre. Just trying to see all sides of this situation. That's partly why I started looking at an Aerway or something similar. Still haven't made my mind up in any direction, just trying to see another view. Has anyone ever not been satisfied with there radish planting? Did it not grow well, perform as expected, just plain flop?

Thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)