AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how to get rid of barn swallows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 5/27/2016 16:58 (#5323799 - in reply to #5323573)
Subject: RE: how to get rid of barn swallows?

North of London
We like them around as they eat a lot of insects and exercise the dogs.

Yes they can be a nuisance when they build in the wrong place.
Best thing is to provide a ledge for them to build on where it will not bother you and then discourage them from the 'poor' locations.

It does not take much for them to build from if it is located in the right place.
6-8 inches below an overhang seems to be the preference.
A couple nails or small ledge and they are all set.

Have a couple nests in the shed and swallows have been around for some time now but no activity.
One nest suffered major damage since last summer and was thinking they had rejected that option, but we have been dry until early yesterday when we got 6mm of rain.
When i looked this morning there is a complete nest and I bet she has started laying eggs.
They must have been waiting for building material.

So now I will put an old bag under the nests when young are apparent and no machinery there and it is a quick clean up when they move out and just think all that poop was insects before processing.

There are structures along some roads in Ontario built for swallow nest sites. Put up often where road construction means an old nest site in a culvert or bridge will not be available.
I can not find info like a plan but they are just 2 posts with a small roof over them and I presume a ledge of some kind under the roof for nests.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)