AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First experience planting "green"...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

560man
Posted 5/22/2016 21:08 (#5315234)
Subject: First experience planting "green"...

Northeast ND

Had my first experience planting into green cereal rye the past couple days.  I would have pictures to post, but I was too frustrated to take any pictures.  The rye did exactly what I hoped for:  use up some moisture and help warm the ground up.  The problem is that we have had a dry spring, our last measurable rain was on April 24th.  On 200 acres of no-till wheat stubble with 30# of rye, I would guess that at least 60% of my navy bean seed is in dry dirt.  It is supposed to rain tonight, with another chance Wednesday.  I hope it comes through.  It is a sickening feeling to put seed in dry dirt when every rain chance has missed us for the past 4 weeks.

I left a 42' strip with no rye last fall down the middle of a quarter, there was good moisture today under the wheat straw in that strip.  The beans got into nice moisture there.

FYI, the rye was seeded into wheat stubble in late August, and I sprayed it with roundup on May 17.  It is 12 to 18 inches tall. 

On our tilled ground, our bean seed got into moisture.  First time I have ever had an issue getting into moisture on no-till ground.

Just wanted to rant a little, as "planting green" seems to be the holy grail these days.  I plan to try some cereal rye again, but am going to be more careful about keeping it off of our driest ground, and try to terminate earlier if the spring seems to be a dry one.  But that is a gamble too...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)