AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I passed my Technician level Ham radio test!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 5/22/2016 10:18 (#5314355 - in reply to #5313910)
Subject: RE: I passed my Technician level Ham radio test!

Congratulations and welcome. I've only been a ham for 60 years.

Ham clubs are full of elmers who are great at helping. In central Iowa the Story County ARC is very active, I was president for 21 years in a row. The DMRAA in Polk county is very active, the Hiawatha ARC at Perry is very active, and the Boone County club is active. All operate a VHF repeater and some a UHF repeater. Most of the VHF activity is on FM with repeaters, but there is SSB and CW activity on the VHF bands during ARRL contests. The club in Hamilton county has a repeater but other than field day the 4th weekend of June very little organized activity. Many of the Field Day operations will include a Get On the Air station for new hams to use and be coached to learn contest operation.

Each of those clubs has a weekly net on their repeater, Story County at 7 PM on 147.240 (no tone) Sunday evenings, Boone County at 8 PM on 146.850 (no tone), Hamilton County Monday 7 PM 147.015 (103.5 tone or fusion), Polk County 8 PM Sunday 146.610 (114.8 tone), Hiawatha Monday 8 PM (114.6 tone) on 145.190

There are more nets listed on the Story County ARC web page http://www.w0yl.com. And information on monthly meeting, locations, and times. Most of the other clubs have their own web pages too.

There can be lots of activity on these repeaters during commute hours morning and evening, they get kind of quiet during the day, but it doesn't hurt to make some noise and wake up those not hearing anything. We hams LIKE to talk.

73, K0CQ
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)