AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replanting corn tomorrow....tearing it up today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CircleDGrain
Posted 5/21/2016 21:50 (#5313794 - in reply to #5310922)
Subject: RE: Replanting corn tomorrow....tearing it up today (pics)

East Central NE
I am sitting here reading this thread and its making me sick to my stomach. I had a similar experience last year year. We planted in good conditions then it turned cold and wet for extended period of time. This was in coc which is a common practice for us. We had one field that had 2 hybrids on it, one was worse than the other. Corn started to dampen off (which after last year I feel is a generic term for I don't know what is going on with your field), had stands down to 8-10k pops and we dropped 34k. Also had another field that had the same hybrid that had same problem on coc with same stands at 8-10k. Had local extension agent out as well as people from the university who were all stumped including our field agronomist and seed company reps. All tissue samples came back negative for all diseases including fusarium and pythium. Replant was immanent. We considered all options and decided to go in with a smartstax hybrid because it was liberty link and the previous corn was not. I left the openers down and tore some out but alot of the 8-10k grew back. I replanted on June 1st. It was now July and it was time to spray and kill off the first planted. We mixed up a load of liberty and when we got out in the field w sprayer we noticed the 2nd planted corn was dampening off also. Longer story in short we decided not to kill off the 1st planted then. We only made a few rounds with the liberty. At harvest time we had 30-40 bu better where we left the 1st planted vs the sprayed. So that was a good decision, and had 190 bushel ave. on both those fields which was very surprising. Don't know what we could of done different. Wished I would of jumped over like 5-6" from old row but that is about all I could think of to do. After going over twice with our martin tills it was about like a strip till set up which didn't see to work good bc we continued to get rain. It took alot of faith, heart, and humility. My dad just decided he wouldn't drive by those 2 fields all summer so I had to irrigate them. One of the farms was a highway farm too, out of all the farms we have it had to be the one by the highway! I pulled these pics out from DEEP in my files in computer. It was not fun to say the least. Good luck to you.

Edited by CircleDGrain 5/21/2016 22:17

(DSC06790 (2).jpg)

(DSC06769.JPG)

(DSC06773.jpg)

(DSC06787.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC06790 (2).jpg (235KB - 58 downloads)
Attachments DSC06769.JPG (254KB - 59 downloads)
Attachments DSC06773.jpg (218KB - 59 downloads)
Attachments DSC06787.jpg (157KB - 58 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)