AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Canadian War Brides
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 5/21/2016 20:50 (#5313678)
Subject: Canadian War Brides

North of London

War brides that came to Canada mostly from Britain arrived at Pier 21 in Halifax and are celebrating their arrival which began 70 years ago.
1 of my uncles returned from the war married to a British woman.
My aunt who had language quotes like 'bloody awful' 'bloody hell' and 'blimey' and raised 3 children.
She predeceased my uncle by 15-20 years and my uncle died 2 years ago.

Not sure how they met but aunt Conny was in the British armed service and worked in headquarters where planning was being done.
She was locked up for security for several weeks before D Day and knew her friend, my uncle, was going into France on D + 5 because she knew his unit and what the plan was.

At that time they were just friends and the friendship deepened when Uncle Wally got leave around Christmas and was able to get back to Britain and visit her.
He made it back to Holland to watch a big air and artillery assault on an airbase while he was camped just outside it.

Closer to the end of the war he got a 2 or 3 day pass and was able to hitchhike all the way back to Britain and ask her to marry him.
He was late returning and was punished for that but said it was worth the punishment.

Aunt Conny of course had to come with the war brides after Uncle Wally was shipped home with the Canadian forces.
They were married in England before he was shipped home.

This clip notes it may be the last reunion as those who are left are all elderly now
http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/war-brides-reunite-in-halifax-1.3594880

It was a tumultuous time they lived through but all my relatives survived.
1 of my wife's uncles was not so lucky and he left a wife at home in Canada when he shipped out to Europe.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)