AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Regional hay market
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 5/20/2016 23:07 (#5312491 - in reply to #5311573)
Subject: RE: Regional hay market

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
There is a big spread here. $180-$80 Neighbor has some new hay 55 TDN or better contracted for $225 delivered to Turlock area. About a $50 haul, so $175 here. Which sounds about right with some recent sales of the very small amount of nice hay that was left. There's been some sales going north lately, which has been surprising as the exporters from OR/WA haven't been competitive here the last few years.

The other end of the spectrum is feeder hay. Rained on 2nd, weeds, etc. Big bales are bringing $80, 3 tie about $75. There was a real glut of that last year, hopefully we don't repeat that again as a lot of ranches got stocked up on hay, they won't need any for a year or two.

I chickened out on renting some ground for hay, even though I'd taken a lot of mine out. $400 cash rent doesn't work with $150 hay. So I don't have much myself this year. Neighbors are still paying pretty good for potato and onion ground, not a bad year to rotate out. A few people cut a few acres, but really nothing has been put up yet. I've got some I'll cut next week if it is dry enough. Water has been off for 12 days but we just got 1/2" of rain, so I'm guessing a week anyway before its dry enough.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)