AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey Mother Deere
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Five Lock Boll
Posted 5/18/2016 12:43 (#5308490 - in reply to #5308358)
Subject: RE: Update for the kool-aid crowd

Northeast Louisiana
Okay, I've got a few minutes here now, so here goes.
Organic ag is generally less productive than conventional ag. Now I'm quite sure someone could come up with a handful of isolated incidents where there are some impressive yields with organic, but by and large I feel it's safe to say you're going to give up some production. In our global economy, anything that reduces production ultimately affects supply, which in turn increases costs of food exports worldwide. This has no impact on the wealthy yuppies in cities who patronize Whole Foods and other high end grocers who deal heavily in organic, but it could be significant to the poor. Now granted, at this stage of the game the impact is probably negligible, but it could become substantial if organic continues to gain market share and draw more acres out of traditional agriculture. Not to mention that this movement has created a stigma associated with traditional agriculture, making it more difficult to develop the technologies that will be required to keep production on pace with growing demand.
Is this whole argument a stretch? Probably so, at least for now. But....if the left can play the race card in some way on every issue that comes along then so can I. That's why I say that organic is an arrogant practice in which rich white Americans and Europeans drive up the cost of food for the poor people worldwide.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)