AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain Dryers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dave morgan
Posted 10/18/2006 21:53 (#53077 - in reply to #52888)
Subject: Re: Grain Dryers

Somerville, Indiana
we have an AS1000 SuperB...batch dryer, wait for it to load and wait for it to unload...I have paid a lot of attention to other dryers in the last several of my years...Had a hard time waiting to load and unload while continuous dryers ground out a steady stream of hot corn, not having to spend 17 minutes loading and 15 minutes unloading, that comes to 32 minutes that could be drying for every 388 bushels [which the dryer holds]...My dryer never caught on fire...I noticed those that did, all that I noticed were continuous flow...'Notice' that I said 'noticed', batch dryer fires could have slipped right past this old man's attention...But I got to thinkin', no necessarily good, but notice again, that continuous flow dryers, for the most part, have a 'gear' system that slowly turns the corn loose to the unloading auger...If a couple Sycamore leaves were to get in the right place at the wrong time = smoked dryer and contents, same way with high moisture corn...Operator needs to be sure the product is moving equal at all times, cause once part of the product slows or grinds to a hault, it overdrys that portion...That is the main and simple reason why the batch dryers have it on the continuous flow as I see it...We dump hot into cooling bins, always have since we got the dryer...Product always comes out within a couple tenths of the rest of the bin because the dryer can only make a 388 bushel mistake at one time.

Not pushing or bragging about either system, they both have their good points...as far as capacity, the continuous flow naturally has it on the batch dryer...Just pointing out what I 'noticed'.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)