AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Considering overhauling the way we apply our N...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

2mcclure
Posted 5/17/2016 09:15 (#5306184)
Subject: Considering overhauling the way we apply our N...

We're thinking about completely overhauling the way we apply our N every year. Currently we run 2x2 on our planter and put 15-30lbs of N on that way depending on whether it's corn on corn or corn on beans. Half our corn acres receive all their remaining N with pre-plant NH3. The other half gets hog manure every fall and is almost always continuous corn. Those acres alway get their remaining N side-dressed with NH3. In the last 2 years we've irrigated that ground and have been putting 30 units on through the pivot at tassel. What I've been thinking about doing is completely doing away with our pre-plant program and getting a high clearance sprayer with a 28 bar. The plan would be to still put some N on with the planter then put half the remaining budgeted N on post-emergence, then come back in at V8-V10 and variable rate whats left using a Green-seeker or OPTRx setup. What are your guys' thoughts on a setup like this? Is it worth the upfront investment? I see a lot of pro's doing it this way but I'm sure I haven't thought of everything. Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)