AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where the heck did all these allergies come from?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hillfarmer
Posted 5/14/2016 19:35 (#5301803 - in reply to #5301006)
Subject: RE: Where the heck did all these allergies come from?

jdk - 5/14/2016 11:37

I saw this post and was hoping it wouldn't go the way it is. I'm a father of a 17 month old son that has been diagnosed with a peanut and egg allergy. First we didn't isolate him and have him inside all the time, he grew up just like I did outside on the farm playing and enjoying it. He actually still loves being outside playing better than inside. My wife, myself, and all of our family members have never been diagnosed with a food allergy, which is what makes this puzzling. To your point the food allergies have increased and nobody from research or common sense has any idea why. So I understand everybody thinks it is fake, just a little problem, or we didn't expose him to things. I spent a night in the hospital ER after giving my son some peanut butter French toast, because he was having issues breathing, hives on his body, and trying to scratch his tongue out of his mouth. This was all after having about 2 bites of it. It is a mind opening experience.

Our only line of defense to keep our son safe is strict avoidance of the allergin! So we now need to read every label and make sure that it doesn't contain either egg or peanuts. We also need to call every manufacturer to see the manufacturing process to make sure food items aren't made on common lines with these 2 allergins for him to avoid cross contamination. So I would ask for people to understand it is a serious issue, and we are just trying to keep our kids safe. Like with everything people can take it to far, because we can't keep him away from everything and he needs to understand that. One reason some people do take it that far is people don't take it seriously, because once he has ingested the allergin he can't get away from it, all he can do is have his body work it through.

The next time you buy something I would ask you to look at the label, see if it contains peanuts, or eggs. Then see if it has a may contains statement on it to see for possible cross contamination of these 2 products. If it doesn't have a may contains label (which isn't required) then call the manufacturer to see if it has been on a common line as those 2 allergins. This is what we need to do with ALL the food that comes into our house. Also help educate your kids and grand kids about this, and treat these kids the same but also help them so they stay safe. If a person takes a few of these simple steps, and takes it seriously it will help the kids and parents out.

With my son, if he gets a food that does not agree ,his first indication will be his heartbeat will go up,will get to 140 or higher ,

Some times toughing the food to his wrist will give a "test" THat is safer then having it in his stomach

he is on a 4 day rotation and every couple weeks something will go astray and we will have to get a replacement for him to eat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)