AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My day job
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 5/13/2016 07:09 (#5298651 - in reply to #5298228)
Subject: RE: My day job

North Central Illinois
We have several pipe lines and a power line running thru some farms. Yes, it sucks and in some cases the ground will never be the same again. When it comes to pipelines it depends greatly on the contractor and the care they took when putting the pipe in. We have one that was put in back in the early 80's and the contractor did a piss poor job of separating black dirt and spoil. Still have lots of rocks and crappy dirt across that one. It raises a crop but usually about 20% less than the rest of the field. We have another one that was put in sometime in the early to mid 70's and has been dug up a few times. The original contractor and the subsequent contractors that dug it up did a fantastic job on that one. The operators were instructed to be careful about separating black dirt and putting it back. They did a wonderful job. Any tile that were hit were repaired too. You really have to be there looking over their shoulder a lot to make sure it gets done right. As far a power lines go they are a pain to farm around but I like my electricity too. Same goes for natural gas or whatever they run thru the pipelines. All of that stuff has to go somewhere if we want infrastructure. As to the original post I would not be happy if they did that to one of my fields. It seems completely unnecessary and a little ridiculous. I have no idea what kind of agreement they had signed with the landowner. Maybe it allows that kind of abuse.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)