AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Custom applicating
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

custom spray
Posted 5/12/2016 20:28 (#5298038 - in reply to #5296415)
Subject: RE: Custom applicating

Iowa
I would recommend finding out what business is available before you move forward. Talk to the co-ops, talk to some independents, talk to some neighbors. I would have a pretty good grasp on what is available before you make the big purchase. If you need to partner up with someone, do some research. Who will treat you well, are they growing or dying, will spraying for them be enough to keep you busy? Also if you partner up with said business and they cant keep you as busy as you want, are you tied to them? Will competition in the area be willing to hire you if you are spraying for someone else, even if your free. It can be a tough market to get into. Everyone wants theirs done today which is not possible. Then throw in the weather and breakdowns it can eat a hole in your stomach and pocket book pretty darn quick. Not to mention if you are to have any complaints. There is a lot to know to be a great applicator. Knowing your products and how they work (this year and what they might do to the following crop). I could go on for hours with all the things to consider but I think you get the drift, and I never even mentioned your performance as an applicator as I don't know you. A great applicator will be asked for over and over again, and usually have plenty of work. I have seen poor applicators cost a company a huge amount of money whether it be from a claim of just do to loss of business from upset customers. I have been doing this for 20 years and I'll be honest, with the Xtend and Enlist beans coming down the pipe, I am thinking of looking for another line of work. I have a feeling this can get pretty crazy, not looking forward to it!

I am not by any means trying to scare you out of becoming an applicator, I personally enjoy it, I am just trying to give you some things to consider/research before you get started. If you have any questions that I might be able to help you with feel free to ask.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)