AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spraying in the wind.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 5/10/2016 05:54 (#5291780 - in reply to #5291468)
Subject: Sprayer cowboys, thanks for the future regs

Southeast WI
Well I gotta tell you Jim, I read your post and I agree 100% with you. However, I figured the responses would be exactly like what you got - beautiful attitudes - "screw you, I have a sprayer and I'm gonna use it".

And for all of you that feel that way? Thanks for all the future regulations you are going to bring down on the next generation. This is absolutely no different than all the damn nutrient regs we have because manure got in ditches, streams, groundwater and wells. Don't believe me?

In 2005 our dnr was redrawing non point nutrient regs. Farmers did a lot of manure spreading in winter and we had a perfect storm for manure runoff statewide. Dozens and dozens of Wells contaminated. Guess what? Regulations became way more restrictive than they had to be because regulators could point at a current example of why they were right. So now there's very little manure apps on frozen ground. There's more paperwork than we ever dreamed because of so many other things to track BESIDES manure application. There's a lot more stress because we are being watched so closely because of past screw-ups. So yeah, screw it, just go and spray when it can drift off for miles, what's it gonna matter?

Wisconsin is not out west. We have homes and neighbors tucked in every woods and around every corner. If you guys think it was fine to spray in winds we had yesterday then come on over, stand downwind of my sprayer and get covered with chemical to show me it's fine. Hell, yesterday I had to be careful putting graph-ex on my beans each time I filled the planter. We had high winds all day. We can pick and choose our spray days HERE, maybe not by some of you as much, but HERE we can. With GPS and autosteer spraying at night is not a problem either when winds die down.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)