AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gathering gain cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 5/9/2016 17:13 (#5290783 - in reply to #5290693)
Subject: RE: Gathering gain cattle

NEMO
Not trying to criticize at all. There are many different ways and all work. We penned a big set of pairs this morning and had to push a little more than I liked, but the pen entrance is down a draw and the occasional cow wants to take her calf and run, read the situation and adapt. I think the horse thing is more of plains deal, the further east you come, the less horses are used. I had a guy helping me a few years ago, the kind that never quite finds their way in life, kind of a trail ride, pick up a lonely lady kind of guy. I told him the next day we were gathering up cows for the vet coming. He said he'd bring his horse and get them in for us. Believe me, this guy wouldn't be the slow and steady approach kind of guy you are, it would be a circus. I finally, as best I could, convinced him that wasn't needed. Next day he shows up without his horse, but brought his whip, showing us how to crack it and make them go. He didn't much like it when I took it away. Everybody thinks they need to be a cowboy and that's the problem, if there is one, with people reading stuff on here. In this case moving the cows or calves to the pen really doesn't have much to do with the horse, it's about you knowing how to do it. I get the horse deal completely, as we get some bulls out of the Sandhills, different world than chopped up pasture/ row crop fields that we have. By the way, I haven't been on a horse much, but am thinking I could go intern with Macttle to learn about horsemanship, rattlesnakes, and rat shot.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)