AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizing winter wheat- have never grown it before.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

djmranch
Posted 5/8/2016 21:15 (#5289345)
Subject: Fertilizing winter wheat- have never grown it before.

NW Minnesota
I rented some new land late this spring that needs some ditching and cover crops to get it in good shape. Last year the BTO that farmed it didn't get it planted so took preventive planting and seeded winter wheat for a cover last fall. I had planned on killing it and planting soybeans, but decided to keep a couple of the better looking fields so we could get an early start this fall ditching and making other improvements. We are also a bit overwhelmed with the work load and wouldn't mind not having to worry about planting these acres this spring. I sprayed it today with Affinity Tank Mix and a little dicamba, as well as some tilt. I am wondering what to put on it for fertilizer. I am sure it probably should have been done earlier but it wasn't. The soil tests show 14# N, 6ppm phosphorus, and 50ppm K2O, and a ph of 7.9. My thinking is to put some N on it and maybe some K2O, but wait to put the Phosphorus on it next spring when I strip till it for corn. We are 100% strip till/no till and use cover crops. I don't know anything about the variety that is planted and am not looking for a bumper crop. The stand is anywhere from 50-100# ground cover. I don't have any expense into it yet except for rent and spraying it, so don't need a big crop off of it. What would be a good amount of fertilizer to topdress on this winter wheat?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)