AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog loading ramp ideas/or pics?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 5/8/2016 20:42 (#5289255 - in reply to #5288854)
Subject: RE: Hog loading ramp ideas/or pics?

redoak - 5/8/2016 17:00 Anybody have a good loading ramp for hogs? 3' rise---build permanent cement or buy something like farmer boy sells ?

Permanent concrete with a roof & wall to keep snow/rain out is the best by a long shot.    It also costs the most by a long shot.

The concrete doesn't bounce or move when the truck hits it and its much quieter than steel.

Enclose it so you can keep it dry and wash it between groups during the winter months.

I spent a lot of money building a permanent enclosed concrete load out on my old finishing building a couple years ago.   I really questioned whether it was worth it but the hogs load out of there so much nicer than they used to with the portable chute.

I also had an issue with the old building being built too close to the road.   The trucks keep getting bigger, a 53' trailer & a long sleeper tractor backed up to the portable chute had the truck hanging right onto the white line of a busy road.     I thought that was an accident waiting to happen with the truck that close to the road.  Building the permanent load out moved the truck back about 8' from the road. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)