AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Day three - evening move pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/6/2016 23:26 (#5286726)
Subject: Day three - evening move pics

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I was a bit late this evening moving the lead wire, it was getting dark. I did take a few pics to show how the numbers work out as you home in on how much grass to give cows in a rotational grazing system.

The cows had done a good job on what was open with none out  looking for more forage.  They are getting with the system and gathered at the wire while I put up a new lead wire.  This was at approx 0.32a/day for this group as calculated in yesterdays post.  I won't bore you with any more for a while but want to show anyone interested in rotational grazing how it gets into a rhythm. 

The grass in this strip is amazingly good, I think as a result of this type rotational grazing. It has had no fertilizer for over a year, just the manure dropped by the cows as they graze, dragged when they leave this strip after 7 days.

I'm going to give them a bit more area than theoretical as the grass in the rest of the system is really growing quickly and I want to move through quickly this first time. I want them to cover as much area as possible before it goes to seed. Rather than grazing my ideal 10" down to 4", it may be 10" or 12" down to 6" the way the forage is growing.

Edited by Jim 5/6/2016 23:37

(IMG119 Day three of rotational grazing for 2016 050616.jpg)

(IMG120 Day three of rotational grazing for 2016 050616.jpg)

(IMG121 Day three of rotational grazing for 2016 - numbers working out 050616.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG119 Day three of rotational grazing for 2016 050616.jpg (110KB - 403 downloads)
Attachments IMG120 Day three of rotational grazing for 2016 050616.jpg (79KB - 384 downloads)
Attachments IMG121 Day three of rotational grazing for 2016 - numbers working out 050616.jpg (96KB - 396 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)