AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for those raising grassfed beef
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

turbo diesal
Posted 5/6/2016 22:22 (#5286664)
Subject: Question for those raising grassfed beef

My strategy for handling cattle has been bribe them with grain and they will go wherever you want them to.

Anyway I am trying to raise some grass fed cattle and it is really difficult to work with them since I cant use grain to make them trust me or follow me into the corral. I have had a 1 cow eat hay out of my hand and that was only before good pasture came in and the boss cow was throwing a fit hogging the hay bales.

What is a cheap easy grain free treat I can feed them that they will knock each other over for like sweet feed? I tried alfalfa cubes, expensive and ineffective. I have been thinking about apples or some other fruit but still somewhat expensive if store bought and I have heard apples can rot the teeth and cause abortions if fed in excess.

Most people probably wouldn't care if I used half a bag of grain a week to call them in or fed them some oats out of my hand but I would like to be able to say I have never fed them grain. In the end I doubt it will make a difference in the meat but I am not going to lie.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)