AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many in this industry really buy something based on advertising?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Buster 50
Posted 5/6/2016 15:52 (#5286127 - in reply to #5286087)
Subject: RE: How many in this industry really buy something based on advertising?

North West IA/western AZ
sodbuster35 - 5/6/2016 14:52

I haven't been on here in a while, but got the opportunity to scroll thru and read the two most recent posts about the cartoonist getting fired. After reading the responses, it got me to thinking, how many people in agriculture, farmers in particular, buy something just because they saw, or continue to see an ad in a publication or on TV? I'm not talking about smaller companies trying to either make a name for themselves out get their product to the mainstream, I mean the major companies who are well known to 95+% of the people involved in this industry. Don't get me wrong, I know that these companies paying for the advertising keep the publication's afloat, especially these days with more and more print media struggling, but I don't honestly think I've ever bought something or leaned one direction just because I saw an ad. The closest for me is actually that I lCONTINUE to buy Cooper brand tires because they have been a supporter of the PBR. I was buying Cooper tires long before the PBR was around, mainly because they were recommended to me by a tire dealer.

These companies spend millions of dollars on advertising, which apparently allows them the opportunity to "control" how a particular publication acts (and obviously this is not limited to the Ag industry). And I know, we don't know what this cartoonist's contract said. Maybe there was a clause that said as a representative of the publication, he was not allowed to satire advertisers.

But I digress.

My question is really a more general one. How many purchase items because they have seen a major company's ad.

I agree, advertising does more to turn me off than make me want to go buy. It may be different for new products but not Cheerio's or Wheaties type of thing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)