AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Compaction help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 5/5/2016 18:32 (#5284495 - in reply to #5283928)
Subject: RE: Compaction help

Burton - 5/5/2016 09:11 Never done much investigating or seemed to have issues with compaction except on a new farm i picked up last year. Has sandy nobs and loamy dips, in the lower spots corn dodnt do much because water sat, and when i combined it i could drive through standing water and only sink in 4 inches, only ran 115 bu/a. I did some investigating today and I can jump on the shovel and only goes in about 5 inches (160lbs), top 10 in is a clay loam then goes to hard red clay i dug down 28 inches and there i can jump on the shovel and get it in 3 inches. How big of a problem do i have? I plan on putting cal sol down this spring it is going to beans this year can i make it to fall then inline rip it? Will it help or hurt to chisel plow it? Shooting for 40-45 bu beans located in WC WI. Thanks in advance

Tillage never solves a compaction problem for any length of time.  A few big rains and it all melts back together, and you still have all the compaction from before, plus what occurred with the tillage in an attempt to alleviate it.  As some would say, tillage begets tillage.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)