AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3 way switch in an old house, I need help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/11/2016 12:25 (#5236612 - in reply to #5236550)
Subject: RE: 3 way switch in an old house, I need help

southern MN
I'm not going to have a solution, but I understand your problem.

I too have those old black push button switches from 80 years ago.

The three way was 'different' than the modern ones.

When I had my farm rewired, the experienced and apprentice electricians put a new breaker box in in place of my old fuses.

That night I noticed my hallway lights glowing very dimly on those 3 way push button switches. Turn the light on and it would be on, turn the light off and it would glow a bit. Different combinations of the switches did different things, I believe one specific combination the lights were off, but most combinations they glowed very dully and one way they were on out of the many combinations.

I turned the breaker off and the next day mentioned it to the electricians.

The young apprentice looked at me like I was nuts, well how can that be.

The experienced electrician said 'ah' looked at the switch and said yup, you have that old style, they are wired different. He went in the breaker box and did something different with the wires and everything has worked fine for over a decade.

But - I can't tell you what is different, or what he did. Or if the old type of switch is compatable with a modern switch. Or anything actually helpful?

I did this google search and there are some videos I can't look at right now on a throttled public Internet connection, don't know if they would help:

"How are old three way pish button light switches wired'

Paul

Edited by paul the original 4/11/2016 12:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)