AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planting time but I'm thinking about grain dryers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

centralillinois
Posted 3/30/2016 16:45 (#5209964 - in reply to #5209746)
Subject: RE: planting time but I'm thinking about grain dryers

Somehow I got the impression you were south of me. Since you're north I can understand why drying corn is more of a chore. I'm not sure if I could dry corn cheaper than 4 cents a point but you're getting killed on shrink. I've been working on a stirator today so I'm not in a good bin or dryer buying mood. The older you get, the less you want to handle corn twice or invest in grain drying equipment. However, have you looked into installing a 15 horse fan on the thirty foot bin? If you fill the larger bin half full, run the fan for a week or ten days and then fill it, you might get by cheaper and with less to go wrong than a batch dryer. Filling two bins half full and running fans until the bottom is dry might be an alternative. You'll have less to worry about with two fans and you'll also pick up test weight on the corn by drying it with only air or low heat. Buy the best spreader you can because it's very important to have the corn level in the bin. A 15 horse fan can still be run on single phase but if you have three phase power use it. By the time the corn is dry in the bin the remaining corn will be drier in the field.

Edited by centralillinois 3/30/2016 16:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)