AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What mode do you run MFWD in on the road?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

slowzuki
Posted 3/21/2016 09:07 (#5190336 - in reply to #5190317)
Subject: RE: What mode do you run MFWD in on the road?

New Brunswick, Canada
You are running on pavement with the 4wd locked at speed? No doubt its making noise! There is a lead on the front axle ratio so it goes about 5% faster than the rear. When the rear is loaded down the lead gets bigger as the squashed out rear tires travel a shorter distance again.

Usually what happens with 4wd braking in other brands/models is the pinion spline / coupler gets very worn and snaps/bangs/clacks when stepping on the brakes in 2wd or when engaging / disengaging 4wd. I had to do a repair to the pinion on my MF. The previous owner installed an interupter switch to turn off 4wd braking when not towing anything.

J. Sheehan - 3/21/2016 09:00

We are using our JD 8260R to pull a large manure tanker on the road. We have always run the MFWD in auto mode so it turns off over 12 mph, but still turns on in the field. I'm sure the manure tank has a lot to do with it, but when it disengages now, it is starting to make noise. Sounds like the clutch is getting worn. I tried running it in full time MFWD, but it will goes 30 mph instead of 31 and seems like it is straining some. If you turn it off for road travel, is still engages when the brakes are applied to stop. Any ideas? I'm thinking of opening the tractor to see what it looks like. still seems like auto MFWD is the best mode, but wondering what others have found
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)