AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

case IH 72xx or 89xx, 2WD or 4wd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Caseman1967
Posted 3/20/2016 23:33 (#5189982 - in reply to #5189955)
Subject: RE: case IH 72xx or 89xx, 2WD or 4wd

Rockford, IL/Beloit, WI
Not much major difference between the 72xx and 89xx. 72xx's had changes over time that carried over into the 89xx's like decals, hood design, electric pto switch, timing cover, head gasket, rear main seal, larger radiator and a few other things. 89xx will demand more $ due to being newer and hopefully having most bugs worked out of them. They still had problems with the cab solenoid and fuel cutoff that was not updated until the mx series. Tranny and engine is the same basic design in both. The 2wd will be fine for hauling wagons in the road or hard sufaces. Most likely you will regret not getting a 4wd once it gets soft in the field.

The 4wd will turn and float across ground much better also due to the extra weight of the front end and more rubber up front. Better resale value also. I had a 2wd 8940 and traded it for a 7240 4wd/fwa. The 2wd cut into my hayfields way too much when trying to turn on headlands and created ridging when planting on the headlands. Like previously stated, a guy can add a 89xx weight bracket on the front of the 72xx. The 89xx series held 22 instead of 18 100lbs weights. That is why the design of the weight bracket is more forward so 4wd models could still turn sharp enough without hitting the wider bracket. Even with the 22 weights on the front and fluid in the front tires of my 8940 2wd, it still would not turn like a 4wd.

A 2wd works well on hard surfaces and that is why I still use my 8920 2wd with a front-end loader on pavement in the cow yard.

Edited by Caseman1967 3/21/2016 05:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)