AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I need help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MeadowlandsBeef
Posted 3/20/2016 12:43 (#5188383 - in reply to #5188217)
Subject: RE: I need help

Northern Minnesota

patt0463 - 3/20/2016 11:38 I have a first calf heifer that I have been trying to graft a calf on for a few weeks and she doesn't think she needs a calf. We pulled a dead calf out of her a few weeks ago, she then prolapsed. After solving that problem she wouldn't come to her milk for the new calf. Vet said uterine infection from not cleaning out. Hit her with lutalyse followed up with oxytocin to keep the milk coming. Now she is milking! But she in no way thinks she needs a calf. It's not as if she thinks it just isn't hers and her calf is somewhere else. She just doesn't seem to think she calved and needs one. Does anybody have any tricks to make a cow want a calf?

I have come to the same conclusion as lacockcattleco.  As time goes on you get a sense of which cows are more likely to accept and those that won't.

I would add that this heifer prolapsing is no reason in itself to cull her.  There would be nothing wrong, in my opinion, and if you like her despite this years unfortunate calving, to just let her run this summer and calve as a three year old... 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)