AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backwards calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nebraska Sandhiller
Posted 3/17/2016 22:40 (#5183244 - in reply to #5178288)
Subject: RE: backwards calves

NNW Nebraska
That is a breach. That one of the hardest things to do. Might be time to get her in the trailer and have her at the vets office if you don't want to deal with it. Call and tell him you are on the way so he can be ready. not wait for him to finish what he is working on, clean up, gather what he needs, then drive out. around here almost everyone always takes calving problems that we need a vet for, to town. Vet is to busy that time of year to be traveling all over the country. My gas is cheaper than the vets milage. He has better facilities if a c-section id needed.

You have to push it back in until you can get one foot at a time pulled back. keep hand over hoof so less apt to tear something. As you hold the foot, you can try twist it so the upper leg goes forward and hoof is pointed back. Have heard of using a small tolite plunger to help push it in.
When you get the legs back, use puller immediately. When tail comes back, it is time to move right along with pulling.

Usually hips come out easier if they are twisted sideways, not legs both down. Head & sholders, feet down. Just pull chain to one side and calf will turn.

If I see upside down feet, I head her for the barn immediately. She might have it, but usually to slow to get a live calf. Or if i see a tail, times wasting.

Big calves are more likely to end up backwards. Cows running may promote it as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)