AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a roller mill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 3/14/2016 07:13 (#5174990 - in reply to #5174810)
Subject: RE: Building a roller mill

northeastern Ohio
Years ago (1998) I had a JD 3970 pull type chopper and decided to add a KP to it. Lancaster Silage Co (name is now Lancaster Parts and Equipment) offered a kit and I paid around $10k for it. It was one of the worst designs ever imagined!!!!! I tried to make it work for two years, but it would plug up multiple times during the day for no apparent reason. It would work great for three loads and then plug up three times on the next load.

Anyhow, the stupid KP was removable and so I removed it and installed the hay chute. I had a local feed mill that wanted some crimped corn. I laid the KP horizontal and installed a hopper on the top (plastic 55 gallon drum). I mounted a 5 hp electric motor to it and have used it for the past 15 years to crimp corn for the local feed mill. I clamp it to the pallet forks on my loader tractor and raise it above a truck. Auger goes into the 55 gallon hopper. It works great!

Here is a Farm Show article on the 3970 conversion: https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=11856

Edited by Jay NE Ohio 3/14/2016 07:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)