AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheel base of a tri axle straight truck
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 3/12/2016 20:55 (#5172335 - in reply to #5172300)
Subject: RE: Wheel base of a tri axle straight truck

Thumb of Michigan
A Michigan special is typically going to be pretty heavy. Any way you'd consider a 4 axle rather than a 3 axle? Or: if you have room, you could stay with a tri ax and put the 3rd axle as a 9' spread. If you can. I like Michigan specials, its all I'd consider for a straight truck especially, but the tare weight on a straight truck can get you if you're short of axles.

Last tri axle we had had a 20' Thumb truck box. Can't remember the wheelbase now. We had Bud put the sides on inside out, so it was a wider than normal box at that time. Seems like is was 72" sides with the sideboards, and it was very easy to overload.

We had a 4 axle with a 24' Bender box. Bought it used from Dorothy Leddy. Worked good, it was easy to overload as well. Had a little more box behind the last axle than we maybe would have preferred, but we made it work for a lot of years.

A call to Darryl @ Thumb Truck with the pertinent measurements (WB, Cab to center of drives, frame length behind cab, etc) would be the first thing I'd do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)