AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to feed an active Labrador Retreiver
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 3/12/2016 18:39 (#5171965 - in reply to #5171721)
Subject: RE: What to feed an active Labrador Retreiver

south east Indiana
I struggle with this also. Since I have working dogs they need to be well fed and fit with plenty energy. I find a 26 or 28% protein and a 13-16% fat works well. I also would rather have meat proteins than grain and glucosamine and omegas. Diamond Natural works well for my livestock guardian dogs but my border collies loose weight if I feed that alone( the chicken is higher protein than the lamb or beef). Purina One Smart Blend I have also used the chicken is 26protein/16 fat. At times I will add Blue Buffalo puppy - light blue bag which is also 26/16 - if I feel they need a bit of a boost. I adjust the amount of food monthly depending on activity level and weather. The Blue Buffalo is simply to pricey for me feed 5 border collies.

Diamond has a hi energy but not sure if it is grain free, the naturals line is rated higher quality food than their others, can find it at rural king, TSC ect- 32.00 for 40 lb
The purina can find at Tsc and wal mart, rural king - walmart is cheapest at 32 for 30 lbs

I do think the black gold is good food but not readily available here.
When I had active pets but non working dogs I fed Science diet and that worked well - led healthy long lives.

It could be a lower fat content would help the digestive upset.

I have found most vets might have a personal preference but do not learn much about nutrition in school- at least the sm animals ones I have asked

Just dont feed any crap grocery store dog food like Ol Roy, Old Yeller... I can pick those dogs out that eat **** when they walk in the door.
There is a web site that compares different food brands and ingredients and rates them.

Edited by denice.r 3/12/2016 20:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)