AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Wall of Bred Hefiers that Never Showed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MU1979
Posted 3/12/2016 16:58 (#5171749 - in reply to #5171465)
Subject: RE: The Wall of Bred Hefiers that Never Showed

Missouri

One thing about all this.  Several do follow and keep track of this stuff.  Not that it makes any difference directly but we have and continue to take note.  I am cautious about arriving at an explanation about why the wall did not happen.  Actually glad it passed, am very aware that many of the bred heifers that were bred. struggle at $2000 plus or minus to cover expenses. The stars lined up to put a hammer on them if cash prices had followed the board.  Somehow cash held up to hold this thing together for various segments of the industry.  I just came in from a cow sale and I thought the prices also were to optimistic for the crystal ball that I look threw.  High percentage of very common heifers at $1700-1800 that looked like trader and feedlot preg out with the top being 2300 for honest breeds.  Looked to be no shortage of demand for these priced cattle.  Glad I took the pick up and left trailer at home.  Some really good discussion, this is what it's all about.  Per yearly cost to keep a cow.  It all starts with cow size.  Chase Yearling EPD and High Milk numbers and watch the dollars flutter away.  Skimp on dollars and open cows will show up proportionate to the saving. Most low cost producers were high cost producers at one time. (I laugh at a 1700# simi cow I bought 20 yrs ago) Had to have her and was proud that night to top the sale. Stupid Me, but I learned from it.  Then per an up coming drought 2016, I hope not and don't want to think about it, but I have said I should have seen the drought of 2012 coming as we had no winter.  Well we did not have a winter and it is obvious that the jet stream is well south.  With everything all have talked about and thinking of what I personally can do for my operation I have ordered a truck and the 5-6 wt calves that normally would be grazed and sold first week in Aug each year will be cashed out next week.  Feed the lion or reward the market.  Why pass on $1000/1200 per head with a board and instability in everything from the economy to politics.  (What is interesting, the bred heifers today and the price of feeder do not reflect future price. Once again cash deviates from the board one might say.)  Interesting discussion sure ran the gauntlet of topics which is fine. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)