AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dead calf - Update and question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MeadowlandsBeef
Posted 3/10/2016 19:45 (#5168219 - in reply to #5168107)
Subject: RE: Dead calf - Update and question.

Northern Minnesota

MoDad - 3/10/2016 19:06  Did the vac last Sunday kick the blackleg in gear or was it going to show up anyway? Would he have lived if I had done the vac 4-6 weeks earlier when I first got him? .

While some things we can never know for sure, I would still put my money on the castration wound being the entrance site for the blackleg bacteria....primarily because of the timeframe involved.  Normally I think the organism is ingested (from the soil where it hangs out).  But I have read that if you culture the contents of a healthy gut you will often find the organism present.  So then what triggers it??

Bottom line from your point of view:  about all you have control over here is giving them the vaccine to develope immunity.  And the sooner the better.

So "no", I don't think the "vac last Sunday kicked the blackleg in gear", but rather the wound gave it an opportunity and it took advantage.  And without immunity in the animal, it was successful.

But just so you know, I have often been wrong (even though I try not to be) !!! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)