AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Did our first pasture burn of the season yesterday (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Big Swede
Posted 3/4/2016 22:24 (#5155987 - in reply to #5155746)
Subject: RE: Did our first pasture burn of the season yesterday (pics)

SW So Dakota
countryflunky - 3/4/2016 20:42

JPT - 3/4/2016 19:27

Little blue is one of the toughest and last to leave of the very desirable "big four" little blue, big blue, indian grass, switch grass. There are hundreds of species of grasses and forbs in native tall grass prairie range, some are considered less desirable and increasers and some more desirable and decreasers based on grazing pressure and management. Some of the more desirable species are stimulated by a hot fire, Big Bluestem being one of them. Myself and my family do not have a lot of native range but I try to take care of what we do have. I have been fortunate to get to day work on some of the ranches around the area and just getting to see the country is something else. I personally have seen a major increase in big blue after one year of a good hot fire. On a good year big blue can get 6, 7 even 8 ft tall if left ungrazed. I'm not saying burning is the answer to all the management issues of native range, it is not. Sericea Lespedeza has become a major problem for native range and is not controlled by burning, and yes burning is hard on fence.

I'm confused do you mean to say you like Big Blue or you don't? We either have it or something like it and to Me its a pain it gets to tall and course. The cows won't eat it.Unless it isn't big blue not totally sure what it is..

Big Bluestem is possibly the best grass you can have on your native range, just get to it before it goes to seed. Indian grass is very good too but it's not as prevalent around here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)