AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmed Through the 80's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

badjaccs
Posted 3/4/2016 07:21 (#5154251 - in reply to #5153840)
Subject: RE: Farmed Through the 80's

Missouri
A quarter by my house came up for sale in 1981. We farmed it all my life. I learned to run a disk on that piece of land in the early 70's. Dad just could not afford it at 2,000/ acre with a valley water drive pivot on it. I bought that same 1/4 in 1988 for $825/ acre with a brand new valley pivot on it. I bid $166 acre for a piece of pasture in 1989 just to get the realtor off my back. I thought it would insult them so bad they would quit calling. He told me an hour later the paper work is ready to sign. As someone above said, I remember the straight grain farmers turning their nose up at us livestock guys. I do not recall even one of them that made it to 1990, they all filed bankruptcy. Many of us that made it had hogs. My Dad feed Cattle and I also had a cow herd. That kept us above water. Around here it took well into the 90's to even start turning things around. Why this all reminds me of the 80's is the almost straight up prices of land. It has increased by 40% per year for about 4 years. It did the same thing in the late 70's very early 80's.

Edited by badjaccs 3/4/2016 07:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)