AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kipps
Posted 3/3/2016 07:31 (#5151827 - in reply to #5151588)
Subject: RE: Building questions

Madison Co. Virginia

In the example I've seen, no bedding was used, and the whole barn was very wet and sloppy. I've assumed that was the way they all were intended to function, but possibly not.

As I understand it(correct me if I'm wrong), a typical counterslope barn is all concrete, with two rather steep slopes facing each other across a narrow scrape alley. The hoof action of the heifers is supposed to work the manure down off the slopes, keeping them free of deep buildups. The manure remaining on the slopes would be no big deal if it dried fairly quick, but if it stays wet and sloppy, the heifers will see no difference between laying in that, and bedding down in the alleys of a milk-cow freestall barn. It's possible that fans might help dry the bedding surface, and the addition of a small amount of sawdust could help as well. But, if the bedded slope is steep enough to move manure down to the alley, it will also be too steep to maintain any depth of bedding.

Just a curiosity. Could tiny freestalls work for calves from just-weaned through breeding age? It seems to me it could, but I've never seen it done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)