AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Current dairy economy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cldairy
Posted 2/29/2016 08:23 (#5144966 - in reply to #5144486)
Subject: RE: Current dairy economy

west michigan
First off, Welcome!

Starting farming has never been easy, and it never will be. Don't think that it will be any easier to start milking a year from now, or any other time for that matter.

First order of business would be to check with some co-ops and find one that will take you on as a new member. If you can find one, then focus on producing milk and let them worry about finding a market for it.

Don't get in with the mentality that "I'm going to milk x number of cows. " Stay flexible and open to the idea that I'm going to milk the number of cows that makes me most efficient and profitable. That number will most likely change as time goes on and thats ok.

One positive about the current situation is that while milk prices are low, so are feed prices and cow prices have come down some as well. Margin over feed is still at a decent level if you manage your costs well. This is a tough business to be in and you have to be disciplined enough to remember that it is a long term business, not one you can jump in and out of. At least if you get in now, you will have a chance of being in when prices do rebound.

Good luck to you!

Edit to add: btw, thinking about starting doesn't make you any crazier than the rest of us!

Edited by cldairy 2/29/2016 08:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)