AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bankruptcy or jail?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Topshot
Posted 2/26/2016 12:23 (#5139048 - in reply to #5138810)
Subject: RE: Bankruptcy or jail?

Near Richmond, IN

I like the chapter (chapter 12, I think) where you file bankruptcy and get the amount you owe reduced and then that's all you have to pay back.  For example, if you wanted to retire and sell your farm for a very high price, say $900,000 and the land market collapses and now it's only worth $400,000, the buyer can get it reduced so that he only has to pay you $400,000 for it now and gets to keep the ground.   Of course you're thinking,  I wouldn't have sold it for $400,000 so I should get it  back but the law is not on the sellers side.

Had a good example of that, that I know happened years ago.   Son bought the parents farm for a high price right before the land price collapse in the early 80's.  The son borrowed the money from, lets say FSA, and paid the parents in full.  Then the son filed the chapter 12 and got the debt reduced to $400,000 and that's all he had to pay back and the parents got the high price and got to keep that, screwing the lender.

I've been on the end that doesn't get paid in a bankruptcy and it's not any fun.  It should be changed so it's not so easy to file or after you get back on your feet then you have to pay your back debts instead of what it is now.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)