AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cup waterers for hogs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ben5398
Posted 2/25/2016 07:40 (#5136040 - in reply to #5135786)
Subject: RE: Cup waterers for hogs

Central Illinois
Steer 13 - 2/25/2016 04:02

I have the Farmerboy wean/finish cups in my barn mounted back to back. Not much waste but they do crap in them.....which shouldn't be an issue for 4-h pigs with a little more space.

The only complaint I have with them is that they are hard to drink out of for a wean pig. They just can't push the nipple easily and fill the cup. If your dealing with bigger pigs then it won't be an issue. These are well made and hold up well.

If your looking for a different type water, take a look at Thorpe equipment website. They have a waterer that is a pan that mounts on a gate and covers two pens. The thing I like about it is that it's got water laying in it all the time and is controlled by a bladder. I think my wean babies will start better on it.

Limited experience, but I each morning and night would walk through and push the nipple on the waterer when I first weaned the pigs. It would completely fill the cup and some would drink it. At the same time I would put a pan out and they would drink the pan throughout the day. After about a week I quit putting the pan out and they usually would have the cup figured out...if they didnt, someone in the pen would and that one would hit it and the rest would wait for it to finish and they would clean up what he left. Within two weeks all would be drinking just fine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)