AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cargill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Fletch
Posted 2/16/2016 23:46 (#5117117 - in reply to #5113578)
Subject: RE: just the beginning of consolidation......

The term "capitalistic" has been misused so much as to now have a negative connotation with many, I tend to try not to even use it anymore.

I like the term "free market" instead. And when people ask what a mandate belongs in a free market, my answer is that a mandate does not belong in a free market.

I then go on to explain that we do not have a free market in the fuel system of the US, we have a monopoly market(technically an oligopoly). And since I would rather have a free market I see the use of mandates or other tools as Constitutional and legitimate exercises of government power to check the powers of a monopoly.

For the government to allow a monopoly unchecked power is picking that monopoly as the winner by definition.

Our forefathers were wise and knew that corporations were good to getting things done, but were very dangerous. So dangerous that they had laws that corporations could only exist for 20 years. They were not backward thinking, they were aware that corporation could become more powerful than the nation which is where we are today IMHO.

BTW, I am in the camp that believes the oil company demand for ethanol would be 10% of the fuel supply with or without the mandates. Their demand outgrew the mandates more years than not, very greatly in the early years while slowing down quickly as they approached the desired 10% sweet spot.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)