AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone else seen this crop insurance article ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 2/15/2016 05:29 (#5112362 - in reply to #5112320)
Subject: RE: I can tell you exactly what would happen...

northern MN

Complexity was not the issue then. The issue was it was not a plan worth purchasing. My father had insurance in 1970 and did not qualify for coverage in a claim event due to bad advise from one of the "authorized" dealers.

I am not saying that the current structure hasn't made the product better (although you realize most of these plans have been dreamed up by the various advocates) but as a part of making it better they also made it more profitable for delivery. At one point in time there was a 32% commission on the whole premium plus there were avenues for retaining farmer paid premiums through risk pool investment funds. Additionally there is a separate fund for adjusters and claims. All the talk of reductions are reductions from a very high place.

The reality is it should be a reasonable premium for a bushel lost times market product. Better still a whole farm whole rotation is what I want to insure. If I need a million dollars of coverage I should be able to buy it. My loss history or aph should be used to establish premium. If I have multiple bad years does not mean my expenses went down...I don't need or want to play the games that the current plans allow. Cross hauling, multiple entity's and poor farming practice is what current plans have promoted. What I found is every time I proposed a simple plan it was poo-pood by the insurance company's. They realized that if the plans were simple there would have been less need for them.

You have to realize that it is the FSA office that documents everything but yield for the company's.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)