AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone else seen this crop insurance article ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 2/14/2016 11:10 (#5110471 - in reply to #5110207)
Subject: RE: Has anyone else seen this crop insurance article ?

Southeast Colorado
Joel, farming in an area where crop insurance "usually" pays.......I feel I'm qualified to speak here. Vast acres in the arid west would not be viable without this subsidized insurance. Maybe it should have never been started, but it is here. And since the economy is primarily an ag based economy.........One can only imagine what would happen to these areas with regards to the towns and most any other business around. I'm not saying that the only money in the area is govt. money and that we never grow a crop.........merely saying that I don't think there is a farmer on this planet that could farm my land profitably without government support long term. That may have been possible if the support had never started to begin with.......but with the cost structures set up like they are now, and the potential of going several years in a row with less than 5 inches of annual rain, and the high likelihood of devastating summer hail storms, it cannot happen anymore. I in no way am implying that the system couldn't be modified for the better. The current system definitely rewards folks who have learned to take advantage of the system. Personally I think it is immoral but definitely not illegal to use the insurance program to its full extent. I wish they would somehow remove that incentive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)